A Gentle Answer
TURNS AWAY WRATH
(James 3, Proverbs 15:1-6)
"The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. (James 3:6,9,10)
Proverbs and Ecclesiasties are two books that talk much about the words that come out of our mouths. There seems to be little though as to the effect those words have on people. I hear them often through out the day, on the radio, on television, I used to hear them from co-workers, it is nice to work with people who have put a bridle on their tougue and are careful how they speak.
Proverbs 15:1: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” The verse where our title today comes from. The bilbe speaks often of this and it makes a case over and over again for living a life of wisdom in a world full of many foul mouth people, who give no mind to the things they say. If we will just read the bible it has much to say about how to use words wisely and not be rude and callused with the words we speak. It tells us, we can ask God for wisdom when, words that are not gacious wants to escape our lips, in difficult situations and when things do not go our way. The book of James says “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you” (1:5).
Dealing with people is like dealing with a nest of bees, if one does not move in a slow manner, you disturb the nest and pay for it, in just a few moments afterwards. They tell me, it is important to move slowly around Honey bees, as to not disturb them. That it is importance to move “softly,” choosing your movements wisely as to not disturb.
I have found in life, that at times in dealing with people, I have not chosen my words wisely and have found our pretty quickly it disturbs peoles emotions, especially if they are tiresd or going through a rough spot in life. These times of difficult situations are like working with a bees nest. I know that when you upset someone with your words things get quiet and tense, a times they react with words that once they leave their mouths are impossible to retract. I know from experience that when reacting angrily it only makes matters worse.
I like the wy the authour of the Proverbs puts it,“A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1). As we ask God for wisdom in our daily conversations, we can respond with kindness and keep the peace with those who tires, or emotionally distraut, but this talent take time to learn. Friends liten, if we seek to bare fruit, we know and understand that gentlness is one of them, and as the Holy Spirit is at work in us, we can with Gods help learn it and learn it well(Galatians 5:22-23)
It has taken me many long years to learn this talent, and I must say I am still learning, I still say things at times I wish I could take back. But I’m learning to beathe a pray for wisdom in the moment when gentleness is required. Before I go into what I already know is going to be a a difficult situation. And as I come before God in these tense moments, I find that my help in trouble comes from the Lord of the heavens and the earth. Psalms 121, Psalm 46:1 God is always, there waiting for us to ask.
Father,God help me react gently, and peacefully with someone today, who may be facing issues they do not know how to dael with. Maybe someone who’s angry and needs a resonse to soothe that anger. Give me the words to say to someone who needs to hear Your gentle response today. Please guard my mouth and guide my steps and help me to have a gentle spirit and to share Your love in a way that will not stir up anger but rather will pour the oiil of healing on the hurt. Please be in my responses today. It is in Your name I pray AMEN
Comments
Post a Comment