STRICK A MATCH
IT ONLY TAKEES A SPARK
(Psalm 23)
(Psalm 34:18,Isaiah 66:13, John 14:16-17)
"Paul, an apostlea of Christ Jesus by the will of God,b and Timothyc our brother, To the church of Godd in Corinth,e together with all his holy people throughout Achaia. Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,h the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts usi in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ,so also our comfort abounds through Christ.If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation;k if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings,l so also you share in our comfort". 2 Corinthians 1:1–7
I remember this old Chourse that we used to sing around the camp fire on youth nights often during our summer time outing, where we played ball, keep away, and had mny wiener roasts and camp fire sing songs and testimony times. Those were some great times of fellowship and learning from God at the same time. Even though in those days we just wanted to have a good time with friends. Yout group was a great way to have that.
That old course and its meaning has never left me,it has stuck with me in all of the years that have passed since those good old days back on the farm, and in our little communities of Neeley Lake and Weekes. I have always sought to be a comforter of others and in my own family. I am not sure I have totally mastered it though, I understand and know how it should be done, but actually doing it effectively takes lots of practice and know how. You see, to comfort someone and make it effective one must, focus on what the other person must be feeling at the time and not go there trying to fix them. Offer them your condoliences and recognize the emotions they are feeling, validating that its natural to have those feelings. Listen without judgung, offer assistance if needed, like offering to supply a meal ike dropping off a meal, or to assist with chours,or just check in on them from time to time, in person and on the phone. It is better in person because most people don't like talking on the phone when they are sad or have been crying
When someone is going through tough times, in order to get some comfort, it involes the other person understanding the needs of the hurting person. Often when you go to visit others wgo are grieving, they feel pressure, that they need to be a cheerful host, but really you have come to feel what they are feeling and show an understanding of where they are. Your loved ones, should never feel that because you are there, they need to put a smile on their face, and make it seem like its not as bad as it really is. Some things you can do, to support and to comfort, is to write a heartfelt (real) note, (not a pasted Sympathy not) but rather a truth from your heart, or offer to run an arrend for them, when they have made known to you, something that is needed.
When we show empathy, rather than sympathy, it shows that we know we are not acquainted with the person’s exact situation, and show them that you can relate to their feelings of hopelessness or despair and in knowing that you have not turn away from them, but rather have come to them instead. Even though we know we cannot fix the pain, but we can help mend the heart. By sitting with them in their darkness until the light begins to shine through, until a spark, lights a flame and the light comes into the room. Our empathy lets the person know we understand that in the moment they are vulnerabile they may be feeling shame or guilt, and you know that it takes courage, even for them to be sitting there talking with you.
Friends, your empathy will give you connection with the hurting person.. Just to send your sympathy will cause a bit of disconection. When there is true empathy you feel the pain. Sympathy says, I know you are in pain and I'm sorry. Where empathy says, I am making a choice to feel your pain and to be vulnerable enough to connect with you and to be available. To pass along a spark of hope. Letting them know there is no way I I can really know what to say right now, but just so you know, I am hear for you, I’m so glad you told me, about the trial you are passing through. Because the truth is, trying to say something that will comfort in the time of trouble, could only make it worse, believe me, I have both had it done to me and I have done it to others, and one feels like a nobody once it is donne and there is very little you can do about i, but to appoligize and try to do better in passding the spark along. We must remember, if we want to make something some what better, it is our connection, not our words thats going to do it
I must remember it only takes a spark, a warm arm/shoulder to cry on a listening ears and a helping lovibg attitus=de, to pass it on. Read and listen to the words of this old course.
It Only Takes A Spark
by Kurt Kaiser (1969)
It only takes a spark, to get a fire going (going)
And soon all those around, can warm up in glowing (glowing)
That’s how it is with God’s love (A–hh!)
Once you’ve experienced it
You spread his love to everyone;
You want to pass it on (pass it on, pass it on)
What a wondrous time is spring, when all the trees are budding (budding)
The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming (blooming)
That’s how it is with God’s love (A–hh!)
Once you’ve experienced it
You want to sing, it’s fresh like spring
You want to pass it on (pass it on, pass it on)
I wish for you my friend, this happiness that I have found (I have found)
You can depend on him, it matters not where you are bound (you are bound)
I’ll shout it from the mountain top (A–hh!)
I want the world to know, the Lord of love has come to me
I want to pass it on (pass it on, pass it on)
Father God, Help me to EMPATHIS with others, rather that just sending my sympathy. As I empathis, I pass on, the spark of love You and others have passed on to me.I come to you today, asking you to give me wisdom in my empathy with those who are hurting. That they may know t=your love, please put words in my mouth, or help me just keep it shut, if the right eords are not there. Father forgive me for the times I have messed up in my words and have done more harm than good. Help me remember this lesson today. It is in your name I pray AMEN
Comments
Post a Comment